A whopping 34.2 million people in the US have diabetes, and an anticipated 1.5 million more will develop it in the coming year. What’s more, 88 million adults suffer from a separate condition called prediabetes; this puts them at a greater risk for developing diabetes.
Oklahomans who live near Tulsa, Oklahoma, can partner with the team at Grassroots Healthcare to help manage their diabetes. Our team prioritizes natural treatments and holistic care to halt your prediabetes from progressing and to help you treat your diabetes with minimal medications.
Glucose is the main energy source for your body. It comes from food that you eat that breaks down into blood sugar. It works in conjunction with the hormone insulin, which carries glucose to your cells. You develop a chronic illness called diabetes when you can’t make or properly use insulin, which causes your blood sugar to stay persistently high.
Types of diabetes
There are three types of diabetes:
- Type 1: your pancreas doesn’t make enough insulin; affects 5-10% of the diagnosed diabetics
- Type 2: your body doesn’t use insulin efficiently; affects 90-95% of diagnosed diabetics
- Gestational: pregnancy-induced diabetes that usually resolves after pregnancy
No matter which type of diabetes you have, the telltale symptoms include frequent urination, excessive thirst, dry mouth, unexplained weight loss, blurred vision, extreme hunger, slow-healing sores, chronic fatigue, and a proclivity to infections. If you experience some of all of these symptoms, turn to our team for a full evaluation.
Benefits of a holistic approach to diabetes
The typical treatment for diabetes is pharmaceutical drugs, but the team at Grassroots Healthcare is passionate about helping you find alternative natural solutions and holistic medicines to treat the disease. We take a comprehensive approach to your health by factoring in your health history, genetic makeup, symptoms, and current condition. Equipped with a complete picture of your unique needs, we customize a holistic approach to diabetes that focuses on:
- Nutritional Therapy
- Holistic practitioners emphasize the importance of a well-balanced, individualized diet tailored to manage blood sugar levels. They may recommend a whole foods-based diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Specific dietary recommendations may include reducing refined sugars, processed foods, and unhealthy fats.
- Regular exercise is vital for managing diabetes. Holistic practitioners can guide patients in developing a customized exercise plan that suits their abilities, preferences, and health condition. They may recommend a combination of aerobic exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises to improve insulin sensitivity, maintain a healthy weight, and promote overall cardiovascular health
- Stress management
- Chronic stress can negatively impact blood sugar control. Holistic approaches such as mindfulness meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques can help reduce stress levels, promote emotional well-being, and improve diabetes management
- Weight loss
- Excess weight, especially around the abdomen, can contribute to insulin resistance. Losing weight can improve insulin sensitivity, allowing the body to utilize insulin more effectively. This is particularly true in Type 2 diabetes.
- Education and Selfcare
- Holistic practitioners prioritize patient education and empowerment. They provide resources and guidance to help individuals understand their condition better, make informed choices, and take an active role in managing their diabetes. This may involve educating patients about blood sugar monitoring, self-care practices, and lifestyle modifications.
- Herbal and nutritional supplements
- Certain herbs and supplements have shown promise in supporting glucose regulation and improving insulin sensitivity. Examples include cinnamon, fenugreek, alpha-lipoic acid, and chromium. Holistic practitioners may recommend these supplements in appropriate dosages to complement conventional treatment.
When you approach your diabetes holistically, the benefits quickly mount up. Some of the major improvements are that it lowers your risk for:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Kidney disease
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Eye damage
- Foot problems
- Skin infections
Holistic medicine emphasizes the importance of a healthy lifestyle in managing diabetes. This may include getting adequate sleep, maintaining a healthy body weight, avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption, and adopting stress-reducing practices
If you are looking for this type of approach to your type 1 or type 2 diabetes, Grassroots Health Care is here for you. Our practitioners prioritize patient education and empowerment. Learn more about how we can use holistic care to help you control and manage your diabetes. Call us today to book your appointment now.